Annual Awards: Waterfront Projects
to main Annual Awards page
Entry Form [PDF]
Award winners will be honored at the 2017 Excellence on the Waterfront Award Ceremony.The announcement and ceremony will take place at 4:30 pm Friday, November 6 in Washington, D.C. A reception and dinner will follow.
An interdisciplinary jury of professional planners, designers, city officials, and community, business and development representatives determines the awards using the following qualitative criteria:
1. Sensitivity to water. How
does the entry make use of the waterfront and its water and land resources? How
does it provide active public enjoyment of the waterfront? How does it provide
physical and visual access to and along the waterfront?
2. Quality and harmony of design. How does the project respond to the natural and man-made surroundings? How does it incorporate and celebrate unique historic and cultural features of the community? How does it meet human scale needs?
3. Civic contribution. How does the project contribute to the economy of the community, boost civic pride or otherwise positively affect the area?
4. Environmental contribution. What environmental values are stressed and how?
5. Educational contribution. How does the project or effort interpret the area’s waterfront heritage and natural resources?
6. Degree of difficulty. Describe how obstacles of various types have been overcome, be they natural, political/jurisdictional, economic or permitting.
Back to main Annual Awards page
Entry Form [PDF]
The Waterfront Center
2005 The Waterfront Center
Content and photographs on this site may not be reproduced without express permission from The Waterfront Center.