January 1982 to present. Co-founder of The Waterfront Center, a
non-profit research, publishing and consulting organization. Serves as
co-director and treasurer, as well as co-publisher of the Center's
newsletter Waterfront World Spotlight. Other activities include
community consulting, lecturing and the design and organization of annual
conferences and technical workshops.
2009 serving as elected Commissioner of Borough of West Cape May,
N.J. Named deputy mayor
1974 to 1982. Research and legislative responsibilities with Dept.
of Commerce, Senate Ocean Policy Study staff and House Committee on
Merchant Marine and Fisheries, Oceanography Subcommittee.
Assisted in writing and editing of Improving Your Waterfront: A
Practical Guide; the Federal Coastal Program Review and the Comprehensive
Ocean Policy Study.
1971 to 1974. Editor of Marine Technology Society Journal.
1969 to 1971. Director of National Oceanography Association.
1964 to 1969. Administrative assistant to Cong. C.R. Jones, 8th
district, North Carolina.
1958 to 1964. Newspaper reporter, High Point and Charlotte, N.C.
Books (Co-authored with Ann Breen)
- The New Waterfront: A Worldwide Urban Success Story. London:
Thames and Hudson and New York: McGraw-Hill, 1996, hardback, large
format, 224 pages, 363 illustrations.
- WATERFRONTS: Cities Reclaim Their Edge. New York:
McGraw-Hill, 1994, illustrated, hardback, 333 pages.
- Fishing Piers: What Cities Can Do.The Waterfront Press,
Washington, D.C. 1986.
- Caution Working Waterfront: The Impact of Change on Marine
- The Waterfront Press, Washington, D.C. 1985.
Selected Articles (Co-authored with Ann
- Opinion column, Architecture magazine, April, 1996.
- Prospects column, Landscape Architecture, February, 1991.
- "Whose Waterfront Is It Anyway?" Planning. Vol. 56.
No. 2, February, 1990.
- "Festival Markets -- Show Stealers of the Waterfront,"
Harbor Portraits, Journal of the New England Aquarium. 1988 and
EPA Journal, Vol. 14. No. 4, May, 1988.
- "Sons of Riverwalk. How a masterpiece of design has inspired
communities across the nation," Planning. Vol. 54. No. 3,
- "Inner Harbor," chapter, The Baltimore Harbor.
Baltimore Dept. of Planning. 1985.
- "SOS for the Working Waterfront," Planning, Vol.
51. No. 6, June, 1985.
A.B., Williams College, Williamstown, Mass.
Course work towards M.S. Environmental Systems Management, American
University, Washington, D.C.